Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Grilled Chicken Pita Wraps


These chicken pitas are fit for a KING.

Better yet, the starving husband whose appetite can hold the entire contents of one's fridge.

Know anyone like that?


Any recipe approved by Mr. B is a sure win for my blog. Any recipe approved between mouthfuls of pita jumps to the head of the class.

But, truth be told? We've been eating this chicken pita wrap recipe for years. Like back when we were engaged years. Another truth? Every time I make it, Mr. B informs me I don't make it enough.

That puts a BIG smile on my face.


This chicken pita wrap usually graces our table about every other week throughout the summer (err...shall I say warmer...) months because I really like to keep my ingredients fresh and seasonal. With that being said, lately I've been craving lighter food fare. I think it's because Ohio is buried under three feet of snow on top of five feet of snow on top of three inches of solid ice. I'm pretty sure the grass is there somewhere. Clearly, my body and appetite are over winter. So when I came across the feta cheese hiding in my refrigerator drawer, I immediately salivated over the thought of my chicken pita wraps.

They're kind of my spin on a healthier Greek pita. Add some cucumbers, tomatoes, bacon, and plain Greek yogurt. Skip the olives. Mmmmm and olive oil.... Top with chopped walnuts and all on a bed of sprouts and greens. I promise this is killer delicious and will leave you full and satisfied.



Grilled Chicken Pita Wraps

Serves 6

Feta mixture:
5 oz crumbled feta cheese
2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
1/4 c extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp oregano
2 drops lemon essential oil

Yogurt sauce:
8 oz plain Greek yogurt
1 T extra virgin olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced

6 pitas (I like the whole wheat and flax seed ones from )
6 chicken tenders, thawed and patted dry
3 T soy sauce (LOVE marinating my chicken in soy sauce!)
juice & zest of 1 lemon
6 slices pre-cooked bacon
alfalfa sprouts
arugula or other type of leafy greens
2 cucumbers, chopped
salt and pepper, to taste
Optional toppings: 1 avocado, chopped; 1 red onion, thinly sliced; 3 hard-boiled eggs, chopped; raw walnuts, chopped

In a bag, marinate chicken in soy sauce and lemon oil mixture for 30 minutes to an hour on the counter (tossing once throughout to make sure all chicken is coated). Meanwhile, in a bowl, mix together feta ingredients and leave out on the counter to "settle" for 30 minutes. In a medium bowl, combine yogurt sauce ingredients; cover and chill in fridge until ready to use.

When chicken is finished marinating, heat a grill pan to medium-high heat. Heat until cooked, about 4-6 minutes per side. Once chicken is finished and slightly cooled, slice or chop it up. Whatever fits your fancy. Now you're ready to build your pita. Start by layering on your greens and sprouts, topped with chicken and bacon. Add on chopped cucumbers, a sprinkle of salt and pepper, a spoonful of each the feta mixture and the yogurt sauce. Garnish with walnuts, eggs, onion, or avocado. Fold up what you can and devour!


With Love and God Bless,
Brindi

No comments:

Post a Comment