Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Good Morning Frappe


This is my GOOD MORNING! Healthier Coffee Mocha Frappe.

And, y'all, just looking at these photos makes me want to rush into my kitchen and make one of these bad boys immediately.


It is THE most perfect way to enjoy the leftovers in the pot you didn't quite finish off yesterday. I am a die-hard iced coffee fan anyway, but sometimes I WANT more than just coffee and ice. I WANT less than a thousand-calorie beverage. I WANT the assumption I'm enjoying something I should feel guilty about. I WANT something that's not going to load my body with a ton of sugar in the early hours. I WANT creamy and caffeinated but will keep me full until an early lunch. I WANT fast... as in I should have left 10 minutes ago.

Because of these WANTS, I created this fantastic homemade frappe.

YUM-O.
PERFECTION.

It's also easy to adjust the recipe to the ingredients you have or the taste you want. I like plain protein powder, but if you want a little sweetness, use vanilla. Or better yet, chocolate. Not a fan of cottage cheese, use plain Greek yogurt instead. Out of chia seeds? Toss in a spoonful of flax seeds. Not sure about the coconut oil? Leave it out. (Or try butter. Bulletproof coffee, anyone?)

This morning frappe can also star as a mid-afternoon snack or a late night dessert. Just add a natural sweetener if you'd like it a bit more decadent, such as honey, maple syrup, or a few slices of a frozen banana. And thicken it! (Extra ice or a pinch of xanthan gum will do the trick.) So you can eat it with a spoon. It's like coffee mocha ice cream.

Some days I drink half in the morning and save the other half for an after dinner treat. When I get home I throw the rest of it back in the blender with a pinch of xanthan gum and one or two more ice cubes. What a delicious treat to come home to! :)


Good Morning Frappe

Serves 1 or 2

3/4 c unsweetened almond milk
3/4 c strongly brewed coffee, cold
1 T coconut oil
1 T chia seeds
1/4 c cottage cheese
1 scoop plain protein powder
1 T unsweetened cocoa powder
handful of ice

Combine all of the ingredients in a blender (place ice in last); blend until desired consistency. Top with coconut whipped cream, if desired. Drink up!

Nutritional Information (without whipped cream) for one serving:
344 Calories, 24 Fat, 3 Sugar, 28 Protein, 10 Fiber


With Love and God Bless,
Brindi

No comments:

Post a Comment