Thursday, September 25, 2014

Yes, I'm a Children's Librarian


This past Monday found me over my head in Doctor Who paraphernalia. My thoughts? I have no idea about Doctor Who anything, except it's a BBC TV show and it has a huge following...of all ages.

So with that in mind, here's a look into my work day this past Monday. (For my last librarian post, head here.)


11:30-1:00 p.m. It started off like any other Monday. I worked the late shift, so of course when I got to my desk this morning it was piled high with new books, new DVDs and music titles, as well as a decently filled email inbox. You know it's going to be a good day when the new Disney Frozen Karaoke has arrived! That went straight into my car, btw. LET IT GO!..............

Immediately, I dove into the new stack of goodies, because how could one not? (Mainly, so I could find the bottom of my desk to do some much needed work!)


1:00-3:00 p.m. Because of the lack of registrations not only for my upcoming yoga program, but for all September programs (it's hard to compete with new back-to-school schedules, soccer, and Boy Scouts), I decided to wait until I came into work on Monday to decide if I would cancel tomorrow's evening program. To my excitement, I had four kids registered which meant GAME on (err....YOGA on). Over the next two hours I was in planning mode. I had various ideas of what I wanted to do with my "Apples to Yoga!" program already, I just needed to put it all together.



Commence the yoga poses! And no I wasn't in my back office doing the poses....that's why I have yoga cards. I'm able to layout the poses I want, place them in the sequence I want, and see if it flows the way I want. Then, I go home and later that night practice the sequence just to become familiar with it, or if I don't like a particular flow, I can tweak it.

For this particular book, Apple by Nikki McClure, I chose to do one to three poses per word (since it has one word per page). I found the pose I thought represented the word best, for instance "HELLO" was the child's pose for telephone, placed them in the sequence, figured out how many times we'd do each pose and for how many breaths. Once my sequence was finished, I planned the rest of the program, which consisted of two crafts (a hand-print apple and an orchard made out of toilet paper tubes), two games, scarves for props, music, warm-ups and cool downs, along with apple trivia and apple tasting.

3:00-3:45 p.m. Department straightening and tidying up because with tonight's program there was no way I was going to accomplish this later. This consisted of organizing the play area, filling end caps and displays, and clearing any books from the tables.

3:45-4:15 p.m. LUNCH BREAK <--- I had this amazing soup, which I plan to share with you all on Saturday. Oh, it's soooooo good. The perfect way to use up any leftover zucchini.

4:15-6:00 p.m. Helped the teen librarians with their program set-up.


Actually, it was pretty much set up when I came back from lunch. However, I did make the buttons! Also, I spent the next hour or so learning as much as I could about The Doctors.


6:00-7:30 p.m. Doctor Who Extravaganza

Youth services program for all ages at my branch and put on by the Youth Services Teen Librarians. There was a ton of stuff for The Doctor fans of all ages to do, including making a red bow tie out of red duct tape, playing Guess Who? (which my co-worker, Sarah, used online artwork to turn an old Guess Who? game into a Doctor version....pretty cool, eh?), lots of trivia, a staring contest with "Don't Blink" prize buttons for the weeping angels(?) aspect of the show, multiple paper toys (weapons?) to make, pages to color, YouTube videos to watch, polls to take, and other various prizes to win. Annnnd, I was able to get my name translated into....Gallifreyan?


We had a full house with about two dozen participants.

7:30-8:00 p.m. Mad dash clean up!

At the end of the day, I think now I can carry on a decent Doctor Who conversation.


With Love and God Bless,
Brindi

2 comments:

  1. Weeping Angels - aliens who if you blink, turn away, etc. from them will touch you and send you into another time period. They look like the stone statues of angels crying.

    The paper toys were of an alien (Dalek), the Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver (not exactly a weapon, but more of a tool), a robotic pet (K-9), and the TARDIS (the time machine the Doctor travels in).

    Gallifreyan is the language of the Doctor's home planet - Gallifrey.

    You didn't by chance get a photo of all the prizes, did you? I didn't think to take on of the TARDIS keys! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew what the Weeping Angels were, I was just unsure of the correct (or full) name, and no I didn't get a photo of the keys.

      Delete