Friday, September 19, 2014

Spinach Mashed Potatoes


You guys....what could be better than a plate full of mashed potatoes? Mashed potatoes with a healthy dose of spinach, of course. I want to face plant right into that photo up there. When it comes to potatoes, I am definitely a potato person. I love them in all varieties and prepared in all ways. Except for the brown sugar, sweet potato mess at Thanksgiving. Yuck. I do not like my potatoes sweetened. I say that like Mr. B adamantly reminds me that he does not like his apples cooked. And I'm game for potato chips as long as there's dip. If not, I'll probably pass.)

When playing Loaded Questions with the in-laws a few months ago, one question asked what is your favorite way to eat a potato? (Y'all if you have no idea what this game is, go out and purchase it. My family has been playing it since I was in middle school. It's my favorite because you learn a lot about your family/friends while playing it. And I love learning about people. Their answers to these sometimes serious and sometimes ridiculous questions are very ENLIGHTENING to say the least. The basis of the game is you're asked a question, you write your answer down, someone reads all the answers, and whoever's turn it is has to match the answer to the player.) Anyhoo, back to the potato question. I answered MASHED. Mr. B was guessing and he guessed incorrectly. He was waiting for LOADED because he knew without out a doubt that was my favorite potato, and he would get at least one match correct.

Boy, he wasn't going down without a fight! He argued that I love LOADED potatoes, that I can't wait to get a LOADED potato as a side when we go out to eat. Apparently my husband has never seen me at Thanksgiving. Or during my childhood when my dinner plate was always more than halfway covered in MASHED potatoes. I almost had to phone a friend (Mama, of course) to talk him down, to convince him of my love for MASHED potatoes. I then had to point out to him that I only eat real MASHED potatoes, not those flakes from a box that he grew up on. He understood, but still believed I tricked him.

And, yes, I know Mr. B's favorite. FRENCH FRIES. While I tend to be picky about my fries, he loves them all.


I digress.

But these mashed potatoes! With spinach! And not loaded with a ton of butter or cream!

They're the perfect recipe to get your mashed potato fix without too much of the other stuff. A heavenly indulgence without too much guilt. A family night favorite. A weeknight favorite. Maybe these just might make this year's Thanksgiving table.

Forget the meal, past the potatoes, please!



---> Also a great way to use up leftover baked potatoes. Next time I plan to try it using cauliflower substituted for half the potatoes.

Spinach Mashed Potatoes
*recipe adapted from my friend Jenny (a Cooking club recipe)

Serves 6

6 large potatoes, peeled, and cubed (I prefer a mixture of golden, red, purple and sometimes sweet potatoes...makes for a colorful dish)
3/4 c plain Greek yogurt
1 t sugar (I'm not sure this is even needed...)
1/4 c butter
1/4 c coconut oil
2 t salt
2 t pepper
1/4 t dill
2 T dried chives
1 (10-oz) pkg frozen spinach, thawed and drained
1 c shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large pot over medium-high heat, cook potatoes in boiling water until tender; drain and mash with potato masher or stand mixer. Add yogurt, sugar, butter, oil, salt and pepper, and continue beating until smooth and fluffy. Stir in dill, chives, and spinach. Place in casserole dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 20 minutes.

*I'm sure this could be done in a crock pot for game days. YUM.

Nutritional Information (for Yukon potatoes): 386 Calories, 26 Fat, 30 Carbs, 3 Sugar, 11 Protein, 3 Fiber


With Love and God Bless,
Brindi

No comments:

Post a Comment