Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Cookbooks Galore


Actually, "cookbooks galore" is kind of an understatement. It's more along the lines of Mr. B's question the other day about whether or not we'll see our dining room table anytime soon. I'm sure the staff at my library and my local library are thinking the same thing: she's addicted. And I can't help it. Cookbooks are fabulous!! All of the amazing, mouth-watering photographs just scream get in the kitchen and make me. Cookbooks are beautiful. I love exploring new dishes, learning what people put on their own tables, and discovering the stories behind why they make the food they make and how each ended up in the kitchen. If I could actually afford my champagne taste, I'm sure I'd have a wall of cookbooks in my kitchen instead of two over-flowing shelves. But since I understand that if I were to buy every eye-catching cookbook that crossed my path Mr. B would demand control of my paycheck, thank God for libraries!

I can peruse as many of these tasty books as I dare, and discover my favorites, which I immediately run out and purchase or add to my every-growing "WANT" list. This past month I have done just that. I've been up to my eyeballs in cookbooks. Ooohing and Ahhhing over the incredible photos and recipes, with many "Why didn't I think to do that?" or "I must make this now" moments.

Giada's most recent cookbook sent me to the bookstore the very next day. Happy birthday to me, I exclaimed as I dragged Mr. B to the checkout counter, after explaining that "yes, I know my gift card is less than the cost of the book, but look! I'm buying you a Fantasy Football magazine, too!" I mean, if I'm putting money on the card I may as well put money on the card. You know, what I mean?

I think Feel Good Food is by far, Giada's best cookbook because it's on the healthier and lighter side, and it features a few personal daily beauty, travel, home, and other tips/secrets as well. The layout is lovely, and I wanted to make [almost] every.single.recipe. Gah! Yes, I had to immediately run out and snatch this up.


Out of this hoard of cookbooks, my other favorites included Chloe's Vegan Desserts and Eat Raw, Not Cooked. I'm not sure where I came across these two, but they were on my "to read" list and the library had 'em, so I requested 'em. Chloe's beautiful dessert-filled book is the perfect gift for my vegan friends. Heck, I'm won over by anything that highlights my beloved coconut oil. I knew I had to make something immediately, and thought the Chocolate Chip Cookies were the perfect place to start. Although, I made a few changes when it came to the sugar, this is by far the best recipe when you want to freeze the cookie dough and snack on it later. OH.EM.GEE. I couldn't stop. I used 85% dark chocolate chunks as my chips, and while Mr. B found it to be slightly "dry" (I took that to mean not as sweet and heavy). It must have been successful, because once he devoured his baked batch of cookies, he intruded upon my cookie dough. While I'm fully aware that "vegan" is not always synonymous with "healthy," with a few substitutions this could be a great go-to cookbook when it comes to feeding my vegan friends.

Eat Raw, Not Cooked is also one I could easily use every day during the summer, when it's way too hot to turn on the stove (if you have one that works), or your grill has been totaled. I was joking with my co-worker that the good Lord might have dropped this very cookbook in my lap for a reason. He knew I was going to need it! However, now I'm convinced I need a dehydrator. And more time. And I'm going to need more money.

I must own both of these very soon.


Stay tuned for my next batch of cookbook reviews because I'm a hoarder and a lover of all things food. I've only scratched the surface of the dining room table.

With Love and God Bless,
Brindi

No comments:

Post a Comment