Sunday, June 22, 2014

Dessert of the Month

It's been quite awhile since I shared a "Dessert of the Month" post with y'all. I have a fabulous one for you to sink your sweet tooth into today. Daddy sure enjoyed it.


And, I promise, it's purely coincidental that this post and my last post both involve delicious sweet treats centered around my father. Yes, he is the chocoholic in the family. Mr. B's step-dad is a huge sweets fan, as well. It's a father thing in our family.


For Father's Day last year, I made the two of them a healthier decadent Frozen Reese's Peanut Butter Pie, which just so happened to be a "Dessert of the Month" post. [Side note: I'm more of a special-treat-on-special-occasions kind of person if you haven't gathered that yet. Mainly because if I have a tasty treat in the house, I'm the only one eating it. And I will eat it. Unless I take it over to friends and family or demand for somebody to come and save me from myself.] Anyhoo, I thought since last year I made a frozen pie and it went over so well, why not just make the same thing. It can be the new Special Father's Day Dessert Tradition. But you know me. I like to try new things.


I chose to stay with the pie and frozen theme, thinking this Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream Pie looked good enough to attempt this past weekend. For the first time in quite awhile, I actually followed the recipe. I know, big GASP. My only alterations to this dessert were the use of light brown sugar instead of dark (because that's what was in my pantry), and I cut back on the amount of sugar by half (so it wasn't too sweet). Other than that I did everything to a tee. I made the edible cookie dough, the homemade crust, and the ice cream-like filling. It's a combo of cream cheese and Cool Whip, so it's not really ice cream, which Mr. B had to point out to me. Apparently, I gave him false information when I told him it was an ice cream pie. It was more cheesecake-y, which he does not like. Daddy isn't a fan either, but the chocolate chips, Oreo crust, and cookie dough pieces made up for it. The construction of the pie was easy and didn't take long at all. Once the cookie dough balls are formed, put them in the freezer to chill while you make the crust, and then put the crust in the freezer to chill while you make the filling. By that time everything will be cold enough to assemble. It's the waiting for the finished product to freeze that's the hard part. I recommend making this the night before, that way you're sleeping instead of checking the freezer every five minutes to see if it's ready to eat.


Overall, I'd say this pie was a success. I definitely enjoyed it more than I thought I would have; it's creamy, cheesecake-y, sweet, and who doesn't enjoy chunks of cookie dough? I think a graham cracker crust would work just as well if it's what you have on hand. However, it didn't get the late-night text this-is-the-best-pie-I've-ever-had review like last year's pie. Maybe I'll revisit that famous pie for our next family dinner....

Visit this link for the recipe!


With Love and God Bless,
Brindi

No comments:

Post a Comment