Monday, April 14, 2014

Week-Night Turkey Skillet



Let's be honest. I love food and I love cooking. I love cooking and baking for others to enjoy. However, by the time Wednesday rolls around and I come home from working all day, the last thing I want to do is cook. And eating out is not an option. Mr. B and I hardly ever eat out, and when we do it's usually planned, when we're off, and certainly not fast food. So mid-week dinners out are not for us, which means I'm digging through my brain during my drive home trying to think up something quick for dinner. I have a few trusty favorites, like breakfast, tacos/nachos, sandwiches (BLTs and grilled cheeses), snack plate and salads, or leftovers.


But lately, we've been enjoying my throw-whatever-I-can-find-or-needs-to-be-used-because-it's-dying-in-the-fridge turkey skillet. Y'all these one skillet dinners were a staple in my house growing up. Grandma Barb loves throwing everything in one pan to quickly feed a bunch of hangry people. Which is who I'm sure Mama got it from. And now I'm throwing everything in one pan to quickly feed my hangry husband. This turkey skillet is perfect because I toss in whatever vegetables I have on hand, which usually consists of a plethora of bell peppers, onions, and mushrooms. Also, it helps me to rid my pantry of the few bags of pasta that have barely enough pasta to make anything. And who doesn't have canned diced tomatoes on hand? (Aunt Joann, don't answer that!) Okay, most of us have canned diced tomatoes on hand. Most of us like tomatoes.

Mmmm....toss it all in a pan (and, if you're feeling up to more chopping, along with a salad) and very soon you'll have a very satisfied belly and husband.

Turkey Skillet
Serves 4-6

1 lb ground turkey
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
1 c chopped mushrooms
1 c small pasta
1.5 cans diced tomatoes, slightly drained
1/2 T garlic powder

In large skillet, brown turkey along with chopped veggies. Stir in garlic powder. (Feel free to throw in whatever veggies you have on hand that need used.*) Meanwhile, cook pasta in boiling water. Add diced tomatoes to meat mixture. Stir, and once simmering slightly, add cooked pasta. Simmer another few minutes until liquid is absorbed. Serve immediately. Sprinkling with cheese is optional...although it doesn't need it really. This quick week-night dinner is quite tasty.

*If adding more veggies then called for, add more diced tomatoes.

Nutritional Information
Per serving for 6: 223 calories, 7 fat, 22 protein, 2 fiber, 5 sugar


This meal is even faster if you have any leftover plain cooked pasta stowed away in the fridge from earlier in the week. Or if you have a container of veggies already chopped hiding somewhere in your fridge. Enjoy!

With Love and God Bless,
Brindi

No comments:

Post a Comment