Wednesday, April 2, 2014

If You Give a Mouse a Cookie....

It's National Children's Book Day!!!!!!!!!


I'm celebrating with one of my favorite childhood picture books, If You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura Joffe Numeroff.

I loved this book (and, later on, the entire series) so much that a few years ago Mama surprised me with the ultimate treasury as a Christmas gift. I could recite this classic in my sleep...backwards, y'all. The If You Give a... series is an excellent choice in getting your child to repeat the story back to you, coming full circle. Also, what a great opportunity to create your own story! (i.e. If you give a moose a muffin....If you give a dog a donut....If you give a pig a party....) The running joke when I was little was "If you give Brindi a book..."

Hmmm. Maybe I should write that....

But now I kind of wish my name started with an "S." If you give [S]rindi Starbucks....


I encourage you to pick up your childhood favorite and revisit the wonderful world of the children's book. Share it with your spouse, or your kids, or whomever you're with today. This might be a great opportunity to visit your local bookstore and pick up a copy for the child in your life.

What were some of your childhood favorites?

I loved Chrysanthemum (Kevin Henkes), Corduroy (Don Freeman),  Go, Dog, Go! (P.D. Eastman), The Very Hungry Caterpillar (Eric Carle), and Goodnight Moon (Margaret Brown Wise).

With Love and God Bless,
Brindi

No comments:

Post a Comment