Thursday, January 5, 2012

Almond Blueberry Cookies

Here's a little secret: I love baking cookies. I don't like eating them.

It's true. I'm not a huge fan; I might eat one or two. (And considering Mr. B doesn't eat sweets, I need to take my cookies somewhere or they'll go right in the trash. And I'm not big on wasting.) Don't get me wrong, I guarantee I'm the first one to stick a spoon in the batter. I will always lick the spoon...and the bowl. I'm the girl that would rather eat the dough than the actual cookie.


But these Almond Blueberry Cookies are my absolute favorite cookie. They taste just like a blueberry muffin. I could eat the entire batch if no one is there to stop help me. (The dough is sooooo good; I never get anywhere close to the number of cookies I'm supposed to have...oops.)


I mean look at that. Wouldn't you gobble that up? Annnd, what I love most about this recipe is that it calls for frozen blueberries, which I can find any time of the year at a decent price. Score.

But with frozen blueberries, you have to make sure they are thawed and drained completely. Completely! Because the berries are so soft, be careful not to bust all of them in the dough (it's okay if a few break). Then you have to let the dough chill for a good hour to harden, because the dough can be quite messy.

Not gonna lie, that spoonful went right in my mouth. O.M.G.

I'm sure you can imagine what happened to those after I snapped that picture.



Almond Blueberry Cookies

about 30 cookies



2 c flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c unsalted butter
1 c sugar
1 egg yolk
1/4 to 1/3 c milk
1 tsp almond extract
2 tsp lemon zest, about 1 lemon
1/2 c chopped almonds (toasted, if you have the time)
1 c frozen blueberries, thawed and drained (completely!)

In medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. In another medium bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Add egg and beat to incorporate. Add milk, extract and zest. Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients. Fold in almonds, then blueberries. Chill dough in refrigerator for about an hour. Preheat oven 375 degrees. Using two small spoons, dollop dough onto cookie sheets. Bake until golden brown around edges, about 15 minutes. Cool cookies on racks.

Nutritional Information
Per cookie: Calories 99; Fat 4.2; Carbs 14.4


Mouth-watering good.

With Love and God Bless,
Brindi

2 comments:

  1. These look amazing! Why do you need to thaw the berries completely? Wouldn't it be easier to stir in frozen berries so they don't break and turn the batter blue?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kristin! You'd think it would be easier, but actually no. When the blueberries are frozen, they're still "wet," so when you toss them in the batter will turn blue/purple automatically. It happens every morning when I make my blueberry oatmeal; it ends up purple. Now if you're fine with your cookie batter turning blue/purple, by all means go ahead with the frozen. You'll have colorful cookies! Also, if you use frozen then you can skip the dough chilling and go straight into the oven. However, the blueberries and juice might not "spread" because they're frozen. I hope you try the cookies and let me know how they turn out!

      Delete